Tuesday, May 10, 2011

We have a baby!

Little Baby Pax the Groundhog
Working out in the yard this weekend and discovered this little guy hanging out around the shed (where I probably captured his mom earlier). He started off with quite a bit of chattering, but then warmed up to having us around and even let me pet him a bit. He made another appearance last night. He came right up to me and rubbed up against my boots and then followed me around while I knocked down some of the bamboo shoots (a nightly ritual). He's about the size of a newborn kitten, but definitely has his eyes open and gets around without too much difficulty. He's just a bit bigger than a pine cone as you can see in the photo.

For now we're just giving him a slice of melon every day or so, and we'll see where it goes. Groundhogs make terrible pets, and they are very destructive to have in the yard, but this guy is just too tiny and too cute to kick to the curb just yet. Not sure he'll make it since he's so tiny, but we'll see and hope for the best. If he make it we'll re-home him with the rest of his clan later this summer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment