Sunday, July 19, 2009

Weekly Update: July Week 2

I already mentioned in my previous post that the eggplants have started to ripen like crazy. I started picking them before they get too big so we can spread out the harvest in a consumable fashion and also to keep the plants from being overloaded. They are literally PACKED.

My big discovery this week is that the plants have very SHARP thorns at the top on the stems. When in bloom they look like little brown hairs all over the base of the bud. As the fruit grows though it seems they harden up into little spikes just as sharp and numerous as the thorns on the roses. I know the picture isn't all that clear but if you look closely you can probably make them out. Those sucker HURT!





Speaking of roses... the second round of blooms is going strong on the bush out back. I cut a few bunches for the vase in the kitchen along with some statice also from the garden. They smell so wonderful!



0 comments:

Post a Comment